Monday, June 20, 2011

Quiet Book Week - Put on the Armour of God {Template}

Are you enjoying Quiet Book Week?  I'm loving sharing my pages with you.  This next one is one of my favourites, sadly Catie is a little young to enjoy it but I'm hoping she'll show an interest soon.

Here's my little dressed up man.

Without his armour he looks like this, the different pieces fit inside a pocket on the left.

This page is two activities in one, you can dress up the little knight like a paper doll or you can match the shapes of his armour to the outline.  I embroidered around each piece and then added the name of what each represents.
There are lots of places in the scriptures where you can find the reference to the Armour of God but I've chosen to use the one found in the Doctrine & Covenants.  If you're not familiar with this book, it is a companion to the Book of Mormon and contains modern revelation given to Joseph Smith during the 1800's.  If you would prefer a bible reference it can also be found in Ephesians chapter 6, I'll include that reference in the file I give you at the end of the week.

One last note, on his armour pieces I stuffed his shield and his little skirt with a little batting.  Some of his pieces I used a sewing machine for but most of them were too tiny so I hand stitched them.


Here's your template for today


Tomorrow is Lehi's Vision and then on Thursday we'll finish up with Jonah & the Whale.


If you've missed the previous pages you can check them out using the links below
Tips for Working with Felt 
Noah's Ark
David & Goliath
Ammon Protects the Sheep

22 comments:

Becca Bingham said...

okay, I am wondering if you stitch by hand the words and if you do how do you get it to look so perfect??!

Sam said...

So do the pieces just lay on top of how do they "stay"?

alljoinin said...

I ABSOLOUTLY LOVE this, will definitely be making

amyM said...

ok, i want to make this, but i'mm like sam -how do they stay>???

Jennie said...

I am very excited about this book. I have already started and love it. But I too would like to know what you used to attach the pieces??

Holly Baker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Holly Baker said...

LOVE it! I had a conversation with the youth and their Sunday School teacher a couple of weeks ago. I didn't know the Armor of God was something to memorize. I am excited to start this for my kiddos! Thank you for all your creativity!

Miss Pippi said...

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

Robin said...

Your Quiet books are amazing!!! I found them through Pinterest and I can't wait to make them! Thanks so much for your time and talents!!!

Phil and Nicole said...

So cute!!! I made a quiet book for my son using patterns from an old book my mom had (from when I was younger) and it's fun, but these are ADORABLE!!!

Spencer & Emily said...

you should make and sell your quiet books. i'll buy it...sewing and me dont really go together.

Jessica said...

These quiet book pages are just darling! Thank you so much for sharing. I clicked on your link "tips for working with felt", but it told me I'm not authorized to view the page. Is it just me or is the link broken? I'd love to read that post :) Thanks!

Laura said...

Jessica, I'm so glad you found and like my quiet book! Good luck with all the stitching and thanks for the heads up on the broken link, I've gone ahead and fixed it.

Anderson Family said...

How do the pieces stick to the page? I know that the felt-felt will stick to the guy, but wouldn't they all fall out when you closed it?

~Kris said...

I love this! I pinned the page you had with links to the other :)

For getting armor to stay on the pay, rather then just lay it, i wonder if using snaps would work? and adding the snap to the solider as well.

While we're not Mormons, I wanted to add that the armor of God is also mentioned in the Bible, Ephesians 6:10-18.

Thought that maybe useful for others to know as well.

Sharon said...

For the people asking how you get them to stick. You could use small amounts of velcro "hook side" as that portion of the velcro should stick to the felt. If the page is also felt then you would only need to add velcro "hook" to the outfit pieces. If not you would need to use some "loop velcro" to the stitched outlines of the clothes.

Tami said...

Thank you!!

Anne said...

Yes, but velcro isn't exactly quiet...

Heenee said...

I love this page !! My mom and I are using mini sew on snaps to put them on the page :) they're quiet and a good skill for younger kids to learn :)

Unknown said...

I saw that someone else with same pattern used magnets to attach clothing to page and guy :)

Lynette said...

Thank you so very much!

marie said...

I love these pages! The templates say the files aren’t found. Have you removed them? I know they were posted quite a while ago. Thanks!