Friday, February 18, 2011

New Food Friday - White Corn Chili

Well you can hardly call what I did as following the recipe I found here on Sumo's Sweet Stuff but the results were tasty anyway (it's also not the prettiest dish). 
I picked up the ingredients for this recipe but I hadn't actually looked at the amounts, 6 cans of of beans?  Really?  I was not prepared to make that much so I altered my amounts a lot.

This chili was good but I won't make it again, I feel like I make similar dishes but they're tastier.  I'll give the original recipe below with my alterations in brackets.White Corn Chili
6 15 oz. cans Great White Northern Beans (I used 1 can white kidney beans)
6 c cooked, diced/shredded chicken (I used what I had left of a roast chicken, maybe 3 cups)
2 t Cumin (I used 1 t instead)
5 c chicken broth (I made my own broth from the roast chicken and used all of it, no idea how much there was)
2 medium onions - diced (I used one small-ish one)
2 4 oz. cans chopped green chilis (I just used one)
1 1/2 t oregano (I'm out of oregano so I skipped it)
1/2 t red or Cayenne pepper (1/4 t)
1/2 t pepper (1/4 t)
24 oz. tub sour cream
1 can white corn (i couldn't white so I used peaches and cream)
Boil onions in broth for 15 minutes. (I don't really know why you boil the onions instead of a quick fry but since my broth was already in the pot I went with it.)Add all ingredients except sour cream.Simmer for one hour.
Fold in sour cream (I added the sour cream to our individual bowls).
Like I said, it was tasty but will not make it into our regular rotation.  I think some tortilla chips would have been yummy with it but we were all out.

0 comments: